The Cathedral of St. John The Baptist
They came to Savannah in the aftermath of an uprising in Haiti. Among them were nobles fleeing the French Revolution that had begun in 1789. The congregation grew through the addition of immigrants, and on May 30, 1799, the Mayor and Aldermen of Savannah passed a resolution reserving half a trust lot on Liberty Square for the congregation’s use. One year later to the day the cornerstone was laid for the small frame church of Saint John the Baptist.